El Retablo de la Inmaculada Concepción - Altarpiece of The Immaculate Conception
This altarpiece was done by the master artisan Asencio Salas and consecrated on June 17th, 1654. It is regarded as the most notable altarpiece in Lima dating back to the mid XVII Century. It belongs to a generation prior to the introduction of the so called Solomon columns, kind of spiralled pillars. There are four groups with three Corinth columns each presenting different heights and widths.
It was modified after the Earthquake of 1678. The central body was enlarged and carved panelling was installed by the sculptor Francisco Martínez.
The Altarpiece, which had been previously gilded in 1655 by Francisco Vásquez, was gilded again in 1696 by Jacinto Mincha. Later on, a renaissance sculpture by Roque Valduque was donated by the Spanish Emperor Charles the Fifth.
East side of the Main Plaza of Lima. Jiron Carabaya, between Junín and Huallaga Streets.
Mondays through Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
SANTO DOMINGO - CHURCH AND CONVENT
The same day Francisco Pizarro founded Lima, he handed over the lot presently occupied by their church to the Order of the Dominicans, located in Jiron Conde de Superunda Street, a block away from the Main Plaza.
However, the Dominican priests Juan de Olías, Alfonso de Montenegro and Tomás de San Martín founded their Convent on the lot owned by Diego de Agüero, located in the corner of the Judíos and Bodegones Streets, and it was not until 1541 that they moved to the lot they were previously assigned.
The modifications suffered by this Dominican temple, also shared by all of the churches of Lima, started around the mid 16th Century. All the temples were utterly refurbished, all primitive Gothic forms abandoned, and replaced by the so called Lima Baroque style.
During the Independence times, the Presbyter Matías Maestro transformed the insides of this Dominican Temple practically rebuilding all of its altars. He turned them into a Neoclassical style which at that time was at its peak. Master carpenter Jacinto Ortiz and the painter José Sagastizabal lent him a hand with that task.
Nowadays, the Convent occupies a very large area, in spite of having been forced to hand over a portion of its former terrain to the School of Santo Tomás de Aquino, which is also managed by the priests of the Order.
There are long corridors, cloisters and portals surrounding three patios filled with bushes, flowers and bronze fountains, cast by the first priests that dwelt within its walls. There is also a spacious Chapter Room in the Renaissance style, an ancient Crypt where the members of the order were buried, and a valuable Library.
It has an imposing tower sixty metres high, one of the tallest in the City. Its interior comprises three naves, cedar wood carven stools in the choir, and the Chapels of the Rosario and of Santa Rosa, which store the skulls of the Saint of Lima and of San Martín de Porres.
Also notable are the imagery of Saint Ann, the Virgin and the Child, of San Martín de Tours and Santiago Matamoros. There is also a beautiful sculpture of a prostrate Santa Rosa, donated by the Pope Clemente X after the canonization of the Saint.
The Chapter house, in which beautiful Baroque carvings are kept, is the place in which the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos Major National University was founded in 1551, the first University of the Americas.
Intersection of the Conde de Superunda and Camana Streets.
Monday - Saturday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and from 5:00 to 7:30 pm.
Monday - Saturday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and from 3:00 to 6:00 pm.